Sep 12, 2009

electric bike

So, I took the plunge to buy an electric bicycle as a way to save money on parking and to take advantage of the good weather in Tucson. I tried riding a regular bike to work for a while as it is only two miles from my house to work, but there is a slight incline on the way to work and it is just enough to leave me sweaty by the time I reach my office. So, instead of arriving winded and drenched, I gave up on the regular bike and was driving the two miles (a habit of which I am not proud). Anyway, after receiving my Chinese model electric bike bought off of Ebay (cheaper than the others I saw), I tested it out today for the first time. So far so good--but I feel like I am cheating. So much for exercise--the pedal assist function kicks in right away so if feels like I'm coasting downhill even when I'm going up. Fortunately I can turn the lithium-ion battery off if I like and pedal as I would on a regular bike. The battery and extras make the bike a bit heavier, but not so much that I can't pedal around easily on the flat. I can totally see myself using the bike to go greater distances than with a regular bike, and to use the bike to carry things like groceries. Saving money on a reserved parking spot and on gas are also some of the potential perks. Anyway, we'll see how I make use of it....

Electric Bikes--Good for the environment

No comments: